Deck Waterproofing Solutions for Canadian Climates
Table of Contents:
- Understanding Deck Waterproofing
- Top Deck Waterproofing Systems
- Benefits for Canadian Homes
In the diverse climates of Regina, Saskatoon, and the broader Canadian region, deck waterproofing is essential. This guide explores the best waterproofing options, tailored to withstand Canadian weather, ensuring your deck’s longevity and appeal.
Would you rather listen than read?
We recorded an episode of The Ultimate Deck Podcast about this same topic!
Understanding Deck Waterproofing
Deck waterproofing is essential in maintaining the durability and aesthetic appeal of your deck. Proper waterproofing prevents water damage, extends the life of your deck, and can even create additional dry outdoor space. Let's dive into the top systems suitable for Canadian weather.
Top Deck Waterproofing Systems
The Trex RainEscape system is a popular choice for its simplicity and effectiveness. It's designed for easy installation above the joists but beneath the deck boards, creating a dry and usable space underneath.
- DIY-friendly: Easy to install, ideal for homeowners.
- Over-joist system: Protects the structure from moisture.
- Compatible with a wide range of decking materials.
- Must be installed at the time of decking.
- Higher upfront cost compared to some other systems.
DexerDry's unique approach involves rubber gaskets that fit into composite deck board grooves, effectively blocking and diverting water.
- Simple installation: Requires minimal additional components.
- Minimal waste during installation.
- Limited to grooved composite decking.
- Requires face screwing, affecting aesthetics.
- Requires a slight pitch for water runoff, which may not be feasible in all deck designs.
Vinyl Sheet Decking (e.g., DuraDek)
Vinyl sheet decking, like DuraDek or WeatherDek or Dec-Tec, is a classic waterproofing method involving a waterproof vinyl material covering the deck surface.
- Provides a reliable water barrier.
- Offers a variety of patterns and colors for design flexibility.
- Limited design options: Patterns may not suit all tastes.
- Requires a slope: Can be noticeable and affect comfort.
- Can be less visually appealing than natural decking materials.
- Potential for seam failure or puncture, requiring maintenance.
The Zip-Up UnderDeck System is an innovative solution that attaches to the underside of deck joists, ideal for retrofitting existing decks.
- Retrofitting capability: Can be added to existing decks.
- Dual functionality: Provides a finished ceiling and water protection.
- Variety of colours and grain patterns available.
- Efficient water diversion capability.
- Easy to install.
- Higher initial cost due to dual functionality.
- May restrict airflow around joists compared to open systems.
Benefits for Canadian Homes
These waterproofing systems offer great benefits for homes across Canada. In addition to adding useable living and/or storage space to your backyard, they provide protection against diverse weather conditions, enhance the lifespan of your deck, and can potentially increase your home’s value.
Choosing the right waterproofing system for your deck in cities like Regina or Saskatoon, or anywhere in Canada, is crucial for deck longevity and usability. Each system offers unique advantages to suit different needs and aesthetics. Protect your deck from the elements, and enjoy your outdoor space for years to come.